The AApA “Open Show Point” (OSPP) program is a program which records ,maintains and publishes AApA Open Show Points earned by Open Show exhibitors using AApA registered horses only, which have been nominated for the program by their owners or lessee. AApA “Open Show Points” are awarded in three (3) divisions: halter; pleasure and performance,with recognition awarded on an annual basis indicating the level of success achieved in each division. Only horses nominated to the program on an annual basis are eligible to receive permanent recordation of points earned to the horses record. The horse MUST be signed up for the yearly show season, before any points can be earned and recorded for the horse.
The AApA “Open Show Point” program is intended to provide recognition of the successful efforts of those individuals who choose to utilize the talents of their AApA registered Appaloosa’s in open all breed shows.
The Association realizes that open, all breed competition is an excellent way to promote the Appaloosa’s versatility and overall athletic abilities to the non Appaloosa public.
If the Appaloosa industry is to receive the respect of the light breed horse industry as a whole , such respect must be earned through consistent , sportsman like, competitive participation in all breed events.
Open show , all breed competition serves to broaden the base knowledge and understanding of the Appaloosa among those participating with animals of other breeds and also provides an opportunity turn spectators interest into active participation.
The increased interest in Appaloosa’s generated by Open Show competition will enhance the value of AApA registered Appaloosa’s and also provide an opportunity for the Appaloosa horse……………., its owners and breeders to gain the respect and recognition they deserve, and give the breeders and owners of Appaloosa’s the means to develop a better and larger Appaloosa market.
Only registered colored AApA Appaloosa’s are eligible to be exhibited at such events. ” Solid colored Appaloosas” can not be shown as an AApA representative of the Appaloosa breed.
The solid Breeding Stock Appaloosa may be shown at the owners discretion at the open show but NOT as an Representative of the Appaloosa breed………… unless there are special designated Appaloosa Breeding Stock classes offered.
1. All horses nominated to the program must be AApA registered with regular or show status eligibility . “Breeding Stock only ” horses are NOT eligibale to participate in this program.
2. Eligibale horses are nominated by submitting a program nomination application to the AApA Show Dept. along with a copy of the horses registration certificate ( Front and Back) and the required annual nomination fee $40.- for each horse entered. there are no additional AApA fees required , regardless of the number of open , all breed shows in which a nominated horse participates.
3. Nominated horses may compete for AApA “Open Show Points in any open , all breed show, which is at least locally advertised, offers a minimum of ten (10) classes per show and has a minimum of twenty five (25) entries.
4. To have earned points recorded, the horse owner or lessee of a nominated horse MUST submit an “Open Show Point ” Exhibitors report to the AApA show Dept. Such report must be received within twenty (20) days of the date of reported Show and must be on an AApA form,as supplied by the AApA Show department. The exhibitors form must be filled in by the exhibitor , all required fields must be entered.
- “Open Show Exhibitors Report” requires the following:
- Name,date and location of the reported show
- Name of Show Manager or Secretary and phone #
- Name of Show Judge(s)
- Number of classes offered
- Total number of Entries
A list of the classes entered by the reporting exhibitor, the exhibitor ‘s placings each class, and the total number of entries in each class.
Report is to be accompanied by a “Printed Show bill, advertising the reported show to the public. (Must have )!!
(showing all pages of the show bill , front and back and all inside pages.)
- The exhibitor/owner of the horse. (dated)
- The Show manager/Secretary (dated)
- or the Show judge (dated)
please have the show secretary check your entries for correctness…………
Points shall be earned based on the number of Horses shown and judged in each class:
Place 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
3 – 5 1
6 – 9 2 1
10 – 15 3 2 1
16 – 22 4 3 2 1
23 – 30 5 4 3 2 1
31 – up 6 5 4 3 2 1
No Points will be awarded in classes of less than three (3)entries
Five (5) versatility points will be awarded per show to each Appaloosa that has completed in all three divisions (Halter, Pleasure, Performance) and has placed in at least 1 class per division in 1st to 3rd place. (must have placed in all three divisions.
This program is conducted on a “Honorary Basis” , should any fraud be discovered , the Exhibitor will face disciplinary action by the Board of Directors of the AApA, and membership will be revoked, suspended or denied. All earned show points for ALL show seasons will be declared void and null and the exhibitor /or owner’ s will lose their rights to participate in the AApA Open Show Program.
Suspension and cancellations will be published to the membership in our Spotted Review..
- Fit and Show
- Includes all types of pleasure
- Lead line
- Walk and Trot
- Ride a Buck
- all customized Pleasure classes
- Go as You Please (GAYP)
- Includes all gymkhana classes
- road hack
- comment English Equitation
- western riding
- hunter under saddle
- and all classes requiring special performance, including all cattle classes and any straight speed race without any obstacles present
- lounge line
- High Point Halter
- Reserve High Point Halter
- High Point Pleasure
- Reserve High Point Pleasure
- High Point Performance
- Reserve High Point Performance
All points start counting for High Point year end after you have shown at least in 5 (five) shows…………less than 5 shows , no High point year end.
The AApA “All Around Champion” of the year will go to the Appaloosa which has participated and placed at least 1st to 5th place in all three (3) Divisions and has accumulated the highest set of points during the show season. There will be NO Reserve High Point “All Around Champion”.
(The AApA, Inc.is not and cannot be held responsible for any unlawful action or damages to the premises, and or beast of the show by horse and/or rider.)
The Association realizes its obligation to provide a program whereby interested youth might develop a genuine understanding of and an appreciation of the Appaloosa horse.
The AApA Youth program has been developed with the objective of recognizing the accomplishments of young people as they grow through their efforts with and on behalf of….The Appaloosa
Youth ( under the age of 18 ) that wish to enter the “Open Show Point” program and want to ride for year end points, must be an AApA member and ride an AApA colored , registered Appaloosa. ( No breeding stock or Stallions are allowed )
Points will count only toward the Youth, not the horse. Nominations for a youth to participate in the program is $25.- annually. The Youth must also be an AApA member ( the Youth can also be a member of a family membership or obtain its own for $20,- annually )
All rules and requirements of the “Open Show Point” Program also apply to the youth program .
Youth Must provide parents or guardians written permission on the application for the “Open Show Point” Program to participate.
(The AApA, Inc will not be responsible for any accident or injury to man or beast, the responsibility rests entirely on the parents )
- High Point Youth 12 and under
- Reserve high Point 12 and under
- High Point Youth 13 through 18
- Reserve High Point 13 through 18
Find your OSPP application on our Forms page , print it out and complete and return to our Show dept with the required fee, each horse to participate, needs its own entry application.
By providing local, open show management with information regarding this program, you should have no difficulty in receiving their co-operation concerning the requirements of this program…….
The AApA “Open Show Point ” program is designed to give you, the exhibitor ,and your horse, the Appaloosa, the recognition you both deserve……………………
AApA registered horses only are accepted for show and competition.
The AApA “Open Show Point” Program is designed to give you, the exhibitor, and your Appaloosa the recognition you both deserve.